Quantcast

OregonPrepSports.net

Banner

11/8: Franklin @ #3 Springfield

Banner

11/8 Lincoln @ #4 Sheldon

Phone in your scores: 541-STAT-OPS

Text us your scores / updates:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Join us on Facebook  Follow orprepsports on Twitter

MOBILE: wap.oregonprepsports.net

You are here: Home Forum Volleyball 4A Volleyball Congratulations to the under-rated winning teams!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Congratulations to the under-rated winning teams!

Congratulations to the under-rated winning teams! 4 years 6 months ago #126

• DinoC5
  • Fresh Boarder
Congratulations to all the under-rated 4A volleyball teams.
Baker is on a nine game winning streak and 9-0 against 4A teams while managing only a single point in the polls along with 5-9 and 9-14 teams.
Congratulation to Siuslaw at 12-5 (tied for 2nd in Far West)and never a mention in the polls. And of course congrats to LaPine at 12-7 with the misfortune of being 4th in the loaded Sky-Em. If they were in the Greater Oregon or Val-Co leagues they'd be in the 2nd spot and likely get a vote or two. Those above mentioned teams who got a point with poor records are in those leagues.
Hidden Valley does get votes and sits at 7th with a 27-3 record while Sisters(3rd) and Marist (6th) dropped two each and still didn't move down in the polls.(Don't get me wrong, they still belong in the top 10, but in football or basketball polls they would have lost a couple of notches.

If you are in the wrong school, you will get either no recognition or very little recognition despite winning nine straight and being 9-0 against 4A schools(18-5 overall). (They got ONE point) If you are in the right schools, losses will not have much affect on your standings.

The vast majority of voters are good people with respect for solid performing teams, but may be influenced on who is good or who is bad by others with hidden agendas because they trust their opinions. It also appears some voters may use votes in a self-serving way. They vote for weak teams to spread points out and keep their favorite teams at a higher level.

I'd like to know how voting coaches are selected and if they represent all leagues across the state? In America, equal or standardized representation is the American way. Why not have accepted standards for who votes? It should never be a club of elite coaches. While they more than deserve to be representatives, they should never be the only voices. One coach per league and one regional sports writer should have opportunities to provide equal voices in all polls.

From what I can tell, ALL the top 10 teams deserve votes and deserve to be recognized. (Most of the others deserve it as well). I believe most coaches are sincerely trying to do a good job in voting. My concern is mostly the cast asides who win, but are left out for many different reasons. Honor those who win with at least a little recognition. Don't make volleyball coaches look less intelligent than football or basketball coaches by leaving out winning teams while voting for teams with very poor records or acting like multiple losses are meaningless. Polls should fluctuate with wins and losses. Kids do read them, even if their coaches tell them to ignore them and treat them as meaningless, kids will still look. If I were a kid at Baker, Siuslaw or LaPine, I would feel slighted when 5-9 and 9-14 teams get a mention and I don't. Do it right for the kids sake. After all, isn't that why we care? :unsure:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds